How to upload a video on your website?
Ok, so you’ve got a great stunning video that will blow your client’s mind, a piece of art that will skyrocket your sales and make your dreams come true.
And the last step to make it work is to put it on your website. If you have someone who handles all your web-related stuff, no problem. Send them the video file and the job is done. But if you’re trying to save some money by doing everything by yourself, you’ll find the tips below useful. They’ll make your life a little easier and will save you a couple of hours.
The main questions are:
Should you upload the video on your website, or use a video hosting service?
Probably, since we’re supposed to give you the pros and cons of uploading the video to your website. However, there are no pros. Only cons.
- It takes expensive and crucial space on your server. Usually, video files are pretty big, usually 100Mb and more. It doesn’t make sense to keep such large files on your shared or VPS hosting.
- They don’t work smoothly. If your web hosting server isn’t powerful enough, your clients will have trouble viewing your video because it will freeze every few seconds.
- Different website CMS using different players. Different players use different file formats. It’s possible that the file you have in mp4 format won’t be allowed by your CMS video player because it requires mov format. Or vice versa.
- Low-quality playback. You may have noticed that video hosting services set video quality depending on the viewer bandwidth speed. If your connection is fast, the video will be of the highest quality, but if it’s low, you’ll get a poor quality picture. But CMS video players always stream the same average quality. So if your viewer has a slow connection, they’ll have to wait for the video to load. If they have a fast connection, it won’t help them watch the video in better quality. It will still be average quality.
- Low view-through rate. If the video freezes, the viewer has to wait for a video to load, and if there are any other problems playing the video, they’ll close it right away and probably exit the website. Pretty much like you have many times when you experienced problems with a website.
Of course, we don’t like to wait or to deal with different website issues when there are so many different websites offering the same product or service. It’s not easy to win clients today and it’s even worse to lose them due to technical problems.
That’s why we recommend that you use third party video hosting services, such as YouTube, Vimeo, Wistia, and many more.
Which video hosting should you choose?
Honestly, there’s no truly serious competition to YouTube today. Vimeo is good but it doesn’t offer anything like YouTube. Yes, you can find many paid blog posts about different paid video hosting services that charge a monthly for basic services, etc., but who’ll pay for a service they can get for free? All in all, you only need to host video files. Not a big deal.
Why is YouTube the best place to host your video?
YouTube offers one really great and really useful bonus that would be worth it even if you had to pay for it, but it’s still free. It displays your video in their search results! Even better, it displays your video in the “Recommended”page to those interested in your topic. That’s crazy, but your video reaches its target audience simply because it’s hosted there. Nothing can beat the advantage of YouTube.
How do I upload a video on your website using third-party video hosting?
You’ll be surprised how easy it is to embed a video today. All you need to do is upload your video file on a video hosting site such as YouTube or Vimeo. Here a few simple steps that will show you how to use YouTube and WordPress to post your video. The principle is the same even if you use different CMS or video hosting. You simply need a video link that you’ll paste into a video widget.
- Make yourself a great cup of coffee.
- Upload your video to YouTube.
- Copy the link to your video.
- Add a video widget to your post or page.
- Paste the video link into the widget.
- Publish your post or page.
- I bet your coffee is still hot, so just wait a few more minutes to enjoy it 🙂
No, this isn’t rocket science and everyone can do it. By the way, if you ordered a video from us and don’t have the time to upload it yourself, we’ll do it for FREE. Yes, we’ll put your video on your website and it won’t cost you anything because we love to over-deliver and make our clients happy.
If you’re looking for a company that can create a video for you, check out this post that will help you choose right animation company.
As always, we’re open to any questions. Just let us how we can help you and we’ll get back to you straight away.